Thursday, 17 September 2015

A Second Hand Emotion


Hallo again everybody!

I just want to quickly say that I am overwhelmed by the response to my last blog post. However many moons ago that was. You have made it so a pretty negative experience has meant that I am able to grow and share my experiences with you wonderful people. I really feel like I am headed in a positive direction, in so many ways- and it's largely down to all of you beautiful daisies who for whatever reason care about what I have to say. So thank you, you big badasses.




Now, I have actually had a lot of requests lately to write about luurrrrrrvee. Hence the really bad Tina Turner reference in the title. I'm really excited to write this post, and I really don't know where to begin. I have a lot of opinions on dating, love and romance and I try to look at it through my feminist-coloured glasses whenever I can. Personally, I am in a long-term committed relationship- but that doesn't negate what I am about to say. Being critical of something dos not exclude you from liking or participating in it. This is something I am arguing about with people all the time. Just because I have torn apart this coming-of-age teen movie from the 90's doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching it. Just because I recognise that something is problematic does not mean I don't like it, per se. 




I think that being critical of most things is the healthiest thing you can possibly do, even if you choose to participate in that thing; at lest then you are aware that it is a choice. Creating a space for yourself to make informed decisions after you have looked at everything critically is a really productive thing to do. All this being said, I recognise that I actively benefit from privileges that make it so that these choices are easy for me to make- such as being white and able-bodied for example. I am given a space to move and stretch and build my personality and identity that is not afforded to people who do not benefit from the same privileges, and that is a shitty thing that I actively benefit from. No decision I ever make to inform my identity will ever be attributed to my race and I am able to use my body to express myself in a physical way to attempt to empower myself.  I try to be aware of these things. And while I can't do much to change my lived reality, I can try to engage in a discussion wherein I am critical of this privilege and the discourses that they produce. It is an active and ongoing process and I think that the most important thing for me (and preeettyy much everyone who benefits from these privileges) to do is to just listen- so if you have anything you ever want me to correct, add, consider, anything, ever- just shoot me a comment.




Okay. So love. Lovely love. What's love got to do, got to do with it? Etc. Upon uttering the word I already have a kind of nightmare of songs internally playing in a mismatched medley in my mind. Say that sentence five times fast.


Mary Evans (2003) argues that the idea of love which is produced and reproduced in popular media  can lead to high expectations, disappointment and a sense of entitlement. She argues that an emphasis on individual autonomy and difference in the romance narrative has led us to believe that there is someone who can help us fulfil our full potential in our potential for love, and that failing that we are just going to keep trying (and failing) to find love through agent and empowered decisions about who we sleep with, who we date- basically who is worthy of our time. Because we are all made to believe that love will sweep us off our feet, that we will just know when we find love, that there is someone who can make up our other (better?) half- we don’t settle for second best. At least not in the same way that- in the past- a kiss was a contract. You may see your grandparents, married since they were younger than you are now, and compare it to your experience of searching for love: trial and error, chaos and uncertainty, in the quest for your one true love. And in making this comparison, you may ultimately render your grandparents love less real, or less legitimate than your experience of love. How, you ask, can they know that they are the ones for each other? To what extent are they faking it? And then you feel feel blessed and count your lucky stars that you don’t live in a time where you have your decisions made for you, in a time where you can choose to find love in your own time, on your own terms and suited to your own expectations.




But how much is this search actually conducted on “your own terms”? If we are to unpack notions and illusions of agency and individual freedom, it may be that we find out that we weren’t really calling the shots all along, but largely contributing in the continuing narrative of commoditised romantic love. This is maybe why we so often face disappointment. We are part of the processes of finding love, but love rarely presents itself as an end game, like a shiny reward for playing the romance game. I am not saying then that our grandparents have had it better (they haven't), or that I have come to realise that their love is more ‘real’ or ‘organic’ -like that is even a thing- I am suggesting that we do not currently live in a world where the discourse of love can be separated from the way of thinking that is specific to that particular time. 




A lot of this, I think, is a reflection of modes of production and the economic patterns of the time (bear with me on this one haha). Your grandparents’ love and consequent marriage could be said to be a product of them existing in an era of Fordist production, an era characterised by supply, demand and necessity (and I'm really sorry how much I am honing into your poor gramps here). The desire for security and stability meant that they were buying things more or less because they needed them, or at least because they thought thy did. How many times have you seen an old add for soap that's like: "Soap: It Will Make You Clean."? ...Or something like that. Haha.

In turn, my ventures into the search for love could be fostered in part by my existence in a Post-Fordist era of production, an era characterised by niche marketing, individualism and consumer flexibility. The way that love is sold now happens in so many different ways: the media and marketing, films, pretty much any thing that is highly visible and contingent with popular culture. We are asked in magazines: "Are you in the right relationship?" and we buy new clothes, apps, books and more in the quest to discover what we want in love.

Perhaps it is apparent that the way that we will experience love and intimacy is to at least some extent a product of consumer patterns and values. In recognising this, we can think about the discourse of love as constantly evolving to reflect the modes of thought reflected from consumption patterns. These routines and rituals are performed and reproduced so as to reinforce meaning, while at the same time creating some illusions of agency and personal identity. The way the romantic love is produced and reproduced in a cultural context will determine how the participants in that narrative will experience love.



We are living in a moment where love is a text, a narrative that is sold to us so that we can go on reproducing its effects. Expressions of love and intimacy have evolved, yes, but where do we go from here? Are we just going to keep doing, feeling (and buying) the same things over and over until we feel satisfied? Will we ever feel satisfied? Mary Evans (2003) argues that if we continue the way we are going, by capitalising on romance (and cashing in on disappointment), we will be faced with an ultimately pessimistic future, where romance and sex is readily available, but love is not. But what does this mean? What's so important about love, and how do we actually define it? As it is, the narrative of love is told time and time again in popular culture: through music, television, advertisements and the online world. This narrative is presented as though love is an achievement- like love can be earned, like it’s something that we are entitled to, like love can be bought.




Modes of intimacy and expressions of love are mutable. They are constantly changing and will do so as long as the world around us changes and expands. The way we relate to others is directly affected by the mediums through which we communicate these relations. For example, the role and impact of technology in love has been a hot topic for debate in recent years, with significant media focus on cyber-sex, simulation dating, social media and even artificial technology. The hot potato of moral panic that is being thrown around frantically is the question of authenticity. Have we "lost" love? If we have, what is at stake? Have we really lost authentic love, or was our understanding of it never really "authentic" in the first place, and in reality we are all just swimming along and changing and expanding as we go? The people screaming from rooftops (idk if they're actually doing this but hey) about the "loss of love" are so often mourning the supposed loss of, lets face it, heteronormative, monogamous and western/ euro-centric notions of what love is meant to look like. 




Dress: from a market
Socks: Annika's
Shoes: Thrifted- originally from Rubi Shoes
Brooch- Handmade for me as a gift by the amazing Hannah


So...is love "sold" to us? Is it catered to the individual? What are our expectations? Is it heteronormative? Is it authentic? WTF does that even mean?  Is the pleasure of love derived from the search or the result? Are we all super disappointed? So many questions. I don't know. Love is a tricky, wonderful, triggering and validating thing all at once.  It's political. It's stupid. It's important.

What are your thoughts? Let me know in the comments or on my Instagram  or Tumblr.

Love always (haha),

Katie Buddle

x


Evans, M. 2003. “The Future of Love” in Love: An Unromantic Discussion. Cambridge: Polity. Chapter 6: pp. 124-143; 153- 155.

13 comments:

  1. I love this blog post! And yes, my grandparents have a lot to do with that. Hahah
    Although married for 74 years (& counting!) my grandmama has admit to me that she was afraid at first since many women were being killed for rejecting a man's hand in marriage during her time {the Mexican Revolution was quite frightening}. However, my grandfather gave her respect and two years till she gave him a "yes".
    Now a days, love is advertised EVERYWHERE and I never liked being told how I should love someone or what I should buy in order to find "true love". From my experience, love is challenging and painful, but teamwork/ mutual understanding and respect is more important than flirting tips and fashion. Films like to over-do what happens when people usually fall in love, which like you said, causes people (especially wom*n) to have the wrong expectations. This is extremely big on marriage. In reality, marriage is no different than being in a committed relationship. When I got married, nothing changed. We didn't have new responsibilities, or "better" ourselves or do anything differently; and I love that. Honestly, I don't believe that money is the #1 reason for divorce, I think it's false expectations that the media has engraved into people's morals. I just hope that people could see through that and find whatever they really want; not what the media tells them that they should want. :)

    Vegetarian CourtesyCheese with Papas

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title would have been even better if you'd been wearing all secondhand clothing ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I basically am haha! Everything is second hand except for your socks? and then i guess.. theyre second hand from you..? hahahahhehe

      Delete
    2. Oh! I didn't realise that the dress was too! And fair point about the socks. This is now 110% amazing, then ;)

      Delete
  3. I think everyone's definition of love is different. Some people think that their love should be exciting, dramatic, sexually-charged and if any of these things are lacking - then maybe they're not really in love. For some people true love is being able to make eye contact while peeing. For some it's the dedication. I feel as though if someone claims that they're in love, then we have to accept that as fact.

    For me, my love is non-monogamous, there's an infinite amount of it and respecting each others autonomy is at the very core of it. When people learn that I'm not monogamous they assume that my love for my husband isn't genuine and that I'm unhappy. It's quite the opposite.

    Anyway, I do think that a particular, heteronormative brand of love is sold to us through the media, and has been forever. If someone subscribes to that definition, I don't care as long as they don't negate my own brand of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear a lot of people say that a lot of the "love confusion" is from the fact there is only word for love in the English language. And I can see that. Saying I love you, could mean many things depending on WHO you are saying it to. And I agree with it to a certain degree. There is a different emotion going on from when you start dating someone compared the love you feel with a person you've been with for 5+ years.

    I think the emotion of love that is hardest for people to understand is the one where you grow an attachment with a partner from being together for so many years. I think most people don't like it because it isn't as sellable as say a sexy fling. Plus it is the argument for an arranged marriage. You might not like each other, but you both stick each others neck for each other thick and thin that a love does form.

    I am married legally for only about 2.5 years, but I think my husband and I made made a commitment to each other much much earlier. We are both level headed so it was pretty much me proposing with a dinky ring that didn't fit him, and lost of talks about "officialness." He didn't get my engagement ring till like 2-3 years later, and I went with him for the ring. It was small and that's what I wanted. There wasn't some grand romantic gesture. I think the whole selling of the proposal is BAD. So much pressure, and naturally money. I remember working at a restaurant and a guy asked us to use our location for a scavenger hunt proposal. Which sounds sweet, but the girl was terrified.

    I wish I still had this one article, it was pretty much defending Online Dating. The author explores the exploitation of looking for love, and pretty much says "dating" is never dignified.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometime late September last year, I needed help for a bring back love spell after reading great reviews on Dr. Wakina and his love spell. I had a situation which I desperately needed a supernatural help on, every physical efforts made to rescue my husband has always failed. My husband stopped loving and caring for me and our children after 7 years of happy home. He did so much wrong to me, I encountered so many domestic violence from him, he turned into a professional liar, and the worst of all, and he started using drugs and alcohol. I couldn’t bear his torture anymore when he wanted a divorce. I couldn’t afford to lose my husband to a strange spirit, I knew him to be a loving man before we got married, but I didn’t know what came over him.
    Doctor Wakina love spell was so great and powerful, my estranged husband’s attitude and urge for evil changed just after 8 days of the completion of the love spell. The reasons why I can recommend Dr. Wakina to anyone are, his love spell is real and it works, Doctor wakina don’t cast love spell that is against anyone’s wish and his love spell lasts for eternity. I have been observing my husband’s behavior for more than 9 months, he is still the same, he has never stopped loving me again, the love keep growing each day and we keep prospering with the blessings that follows Doctor Wakina’s love spell. That’s the reason why I can recommend him to anyone event to my worst enemy… to email him via dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My deepest secret turned against me after my husband discovered I was seeing my boss. Though it’s a shameful act, but I was afraid my boss would fire me if I resist. I really wanted to stay in the job because my husband was not working and my boss increased my pay because of our secret affairs. I thought I was doing our family good, until my husband found out through my colleague, he was broken at that moment and vowed never to see me again. My senses came back, I quitted the job, I was ashamed of myself, I became suicidal, and I started doing drugs in order to forget my past.
    Few days after the divorce papers were served, I email Dr. Wakina via (dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com) After reading some overwhelming reviews about his bring lover back spell, I explained everything to him and pleaded to make me change, to adore only my husband and make my husband forgive and forget every evil I have done to him and forget about divorce. It took Dr. Wakina two days to cast the spell, my husband came back five days after the spell. I couldn’t believe my eyes, he totally forgave me and agreed to start afresh with me, he then appreciated Dr. Wakina for his help and promised not to divorce. I am so happy for our new beginning, we have a new job and a new apartment. For over seven months, things has been working. I was blessed since the day I found Dr. Wakina’s email: (dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As hard as my husband thought he was, Dr. Wakina was able to soften his heart and make him comeback home. My husband of 4 years and I went for a 5 month marriage break because he was too abusive. He only make love to me when he is drunk. Almost at the end of the 5 month break, he started seeing new woman when we started reconnecting, he stopped caring for me or even seeing me after work. I almost lose him in the hands of the new woman.
    I emailed Doc Wakina to help me the way he has been helping others via (dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com), I can’t foolishly lose him to another, I don’t mind going to the extreme to get back my husband. Behold my case looked so complicated because I initiated the idea of 5 month break, but since my conscience was clear, the love spell worked perfectly well for us. He never spoke of her or any, I feel like woman and enjoy his romance. I wonder where I could have been if not for Dr. Wakina’s love spell. He is simply the best. I love you great doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Note before you read; this review is based on a true life story, feel free to read it all the way though.
    David, my fiancé is the first man I fell in love with, I got my first kiss from him 22yeras. I gave him everything he desires thinking he would never hurt me even though I knew our love might not last forever because we were obsessed with each other which gradually contaminated our relationship. But I did think he wasn’t going to breakup with me one day because of his pronounced promises.
    March 17th about 05:12am he broke up with me in a note, I woke up to see it on my bed. I was suppressed, I tried to stay strong at work but when I return home I cry myself to bed.
    After some months he started flirting with strange girls and I was indeed jealous, though I tied other men, but I was never really over him. He is my first love and I have to get him back ASAP. My luck lead me to Dr. Wakina via his spiritual email dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com. I got help like others. Dr. Wakina through his love spell gave me a second chance to get back my fiancé. The impossible became possible after our new found love for each other became productive.
    I’m proud to share this hoping it might help someone out there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been in a pretty serious relation with my boyfriend for about four years. We often talk about marriage, buying a bigger house and names for our unborn children. So the talking was gradually becoming boring to us, he decided to make it official April this year, we went out together to look for engagement rings, I made my choice.
    He disappeared on our engagement day, I and my friends waited for him but he did not show up. I almost took my life because I could not handle the embarrassment. Everything about him went death for about two weeks before my best friend advised me to contact Dr. Wakina via (dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com) for supernatural help. The spell doctor did the readings and told me everything I should know, the main reason he ran away, the lady he ran to and how to permanently solve his problem to bring him back and make him stay for eternity. I immediately ordered him to proceed with the spell because I couldn’t handle life any more. As promised by Dr. Wakina, Fredrick came back to me four days after the love spell with the ring, begging for fogginess before engaging me. I totally forgave him and also forgave myself for planning to take my life.
    We are already married and expecting a baby. It’s all because of Dr. Wakina’s doing via (dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com), I shall forever be indebted to you sir. I and my family say thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey guys, I'm so excited getting my Ex-husband back after a breakup. After 2 years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. i felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before,All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr Unity he is and real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,
    you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464 ,
    his website:http://unityspelltemple.yolasite.com .
    Jessica, 26 years, Texas, USA.

    ReplyDelete