Sunday, 14 December 2014

Bikini's, Body Hair and Body Positivity




Hallo!

So Annika, Matilde and I are currently on an amazing holiday with friends and family down at the beach. After the most stressful semester/ few months ever, it seems ridiculous to wake up in the morning and not need to do anything except maybe shower, and failing that I can just throw my bod into the sea. 


Over the past year, I have been learning to accept and embrace my body, and for me that journey has partially meant (at least for now) quitting shaving and seeing what would happen. I have copped a fair bit of bullying for it (mainly from mean-heads on instagram), but for the most part I have enjoyed the whole process. One thing I have discovered is that my most of my hair is BRIGHT ORANGE, and when people comment it's mostly to tell me how pretty the colour is. I used to be teased for having a lot of ginger hair all over my body in primary and high school, but now I'm just trying to own it. Red hair (and all hair) is pretty.  

This isn't to say that you have to grow your hair long or love your body hair-- for starters, I experience privileges of being white that means that I have a different experience of having body hair to some people. I've been bullied for my body hair, sure, but it's never been racialized, and that's really important thing to remember. Body hair isn't the be all and end all of being a feminist, this is just where I'm at right now.


 (I'll just briefly explain that I burst a blood-vessel in my eye which is why I kinda look like a vampire)

This beach trip was actually the first big beach visit that I have made this year with my
 new fuzzy bod. And also the first time I've really felt comfortable in a bikini since I broke up my longstanding and unhealthy relationship with dieting. Now instead of sitting on my towel worrying about my body, I'm actually going swimming, and enjoying the things my body can do, instead of worrying about the space that my body is taking up. And it's still a process, and I still have my doubts, but for the most part, woo-hoo!



It also helps to have a ridiculously cute swimsuit and even more ridiculously cute friends (who also have cute swimsuits...)



This being said, having a pretty swimsuit is not a requirement for feeling good about yourself at the beach. I have in the past felt better in boxer shorts and a big shirt, and one time I went swimming in a long dress and felt like a mermaid. And sometimes if I get the chance I just ditch clothes all together. 

My advice for looking good at the beach would be to just wear whatever makes you feel comfy and happy. Cover-up or strip-down. Go swimming or sit on the beach and read a book. You're not obliged to splash about like you're in a tourism ad. Enjoy your body for whatever it can do. Just don't forget to wear sun-block-I did, and MY BUTT IS ENTIRELY SUNBURNT!!!



And I mean like entirely sunburnt. From the back of my ankles to my butt is red-raw and I can barely sit down. It's put a bit of a damper on my holiday but hey, it's nothing a good friend rubbing aloe-vera on your butt can't help. 




I've realised that quite a few of my followers are on the other side of the world, and seeing us running around in our swimsuits right now must be a bit odd. I'm really sorry. If it helps, I'm actually really envious of the whole White Christmas deal. And for the most part I actually hate the heat. I get heat-rage, and turn into a hideous sweat monster. That bites. 

So yeah, I'd probably go for a bit of cold and snow right now. Being at the beach is good though coz at least I can throw myself into the sea if I feel like I'm turning into heat- monster-Katie.



I mentioned in my last post that I got this swimsuit from an Etsy store called Venderstore, and I super love it. Again, the only thing I would say if you were buying from them is to size down! This bikini (mainly the top) is held on mainly by thousands of rubber bands and sheer will. I'm also lucky that my butt is big enough to really hold anything up.




That's it from me today. Hope you're all having a good week!

Love, Katie xxx










22 comments:

  1. You go girl! My pits aren't as impressive, but I'm working on them ;)
    And I seriously love that swimsuit.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg I just went to that shop and they have it in pink. we are going to be matching!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I want to see pictures of you in your pink one if you follow through! Matching <3 there is also a strawberry print one I have my eye on.... Xxx

      Delete
  3. My legs are actually as hairy as yours if I don't shave; and I haven't shaved for about two weeks out of laziness. Hahah
    I'm still a bit self-conscious about my body, but it's mainly because of those darn stretch marks. -.-
    Anyway, the good thing is that they're not in visible places, and it's cold here so it's official sweater weather.<33
    Glad to see you're making the best out of the heat. :)

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've come to think of my stretch marks as pretty- I really like their colour! As for your body hair, you shouldn't have to cover it regardless if weather, but do what makes you comfortable always! You're the cutest and I bet you must look so snuggly all rugged up in the cold xxx

      Delete
  4. I found this post so inspiring. I hate shaving (especially my bikini line, I just flat out refuse to do anything with that) and my body has wobbly bits and I always struggle feeling good at the beach and basically spend the entire time trying to pull my swim suit this way and that. Not caring is easier said than done sometimes, but reading this really inspires me :) That swim suit is the cutest ever, you look so great! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I know the feeling!!! I'm so glad you liked my post, you're the loveliest xxx

      Delete
  5. So beautiful, and that swimsuit is seriously amazing. I'm definitely envious of beach weather, but I'm sure the grass is always greener on the other side :)

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it always is isn't it? Today is actually rainy and cold so I'm all rugged up right now. I love being comfy in a big sweater more than almost anything <3 thanks for dropping by beautiful! Xxx

      Delete
  6. You are so so mega gorgeousss! All three of you! I've always wanted bright ginger hair haha, I dye mine a coppery tint otherwise it's so dull :( hope your eye is ok, also hope your sunburn gets better! Enjoy the warmth, it's not even snowing in England it's just dull and drizzly ugh.!
    amber love

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look gorgeous! I am head over heels about the swimwear...! I feel kinda warmer in Winter if I grow my body hair however I admit I do enjoy feeling like a dolphin in the 1st day of Veet action ahah! Ingrown hair, that's the worst part... Oh well, I could bleach my hairy bits, would be like grizzly bear becoming polar bear look and that's cute <333

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right about the other side of the world thing. It's so ego-centric to assume everyone's in the same place as you but I kept expecting the blog to say something about 'yeah we're in our swimsuits in winter for a dare' before I was like oooooh it must actually be hot there! Crazy times. I am so jealous. I keep fantasising about swimming in the sea again like I did in the summer. You guys all have brilliant costumes and look awesome. It also look like a really private beach with your own place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are so many reasons why I love your blog and you are one of them. I have honestly just started following you after reading numerous posts since an hour ago. You are so awesome and I love this post in particular. It's inspiring to hear about ladies to don't give a care about what the world thinks and just love their body for how awesome it is.
    Keep at it sister!

    www.thelittlequirks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gee thank you so much! Lots of love x❤️

      Delete
  11. I like fuzzy armpits as much as bald ones, I always want to stroke them, maybe give them a saucer of milk (erm, never have done, I'm not THAT weird). Maybe you can plait the fuzzies for a bit of texture? :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are such a babe! I adore that swimsuit SO much; I'm not one for bikinis because I find most of them to be too revealing for my personal comfort, but this one... I would wear. It's just darling! And it looks perfect on you! (I have the same problem with swimsuits -- the top is always loose but it always fits my butt.) I love that you've quit shaving just to see what would happen! I have never liked the feeling of being hairy, but I don't see anything aesthetically unpleasing about it. Hey, if guys can be hairy, why not girls? And the fact that most of your hair is bright orange? So fantastic!
    (Sorry if it seems like I'm just randomly stalking you; I just popped over via Annika's blog.)
    xo
    Kristina
    www.eccentricowl.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey were these taken at Abraham's Bosom beach in Currarong? I love that place!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband and I have been married for 3 and a half years. In June it will be 7 years that we have been a part of each other lives. Recently he found out about a guy I slept with when we were separated and I did not tell him about. Before we got married we both agreed to let everything out and start fresh. I didn’t tell him. I was embarrassed bc the guy and I never actually had sex…just everything that led up to it. not to mention it was my brothers best friend and a huge mistake. well it came out recently along with some lies. A friend told my husband I cheated on him and I have never cheated on my husband nor would I ever. He is convinced I am a cheater. we have 2 beautiful kids and all I have ever wanted is a happy family. my kids and my husband truly are my everything. I can not see a future where my husband is not in it. I want to do whatever I can to save my marriage but I feel my husband is already set on the divorce. I know I could have been a better wife to him….a wife he deserves but now I fee like I have realized it too late. I look at my kids and I hate myself for allowing myself to break my family apart. I know my husband is not perfect and he has hurt me tremendously these past 5 years we have been off and on but we made it through for a reason. I love him and I want to save my marriage, one day a friend of my introduce me to a spell caster online who lift me up gave me hope and with-in 2 days after his spell my husband who told me he needed a divorce, called me and take me back home to me i must say today we are happily as one big family again all thanks to Dr happy a father and a real spell caster.Contact email address happylovespell2@gmail.com Call and Whats-App him +2348133873774 Also contact and know more about his service at http://happyspelltemple.webs.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey guys, I'm so excited getting my Ex-husband back after a breakup. After 2 years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. i felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before,All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr Unity he is and real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,
    you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464 ,
    his website:http://unityspelltemple.yolasite.com .
    Jessica, 26 years, Texas, USA.

    ReplyDelete